Van Leeuwen Kipspecialiteiten was originally a family business started in 1957 with Mr. Van Leeuwen senior’s meat chicken fattening farm.
In 1970, operations were established to trade in slaughtered chickens and deepfreeze packages. The huge success of these activities warranted expansion. Subsequently, processing operations were set up to process a full range of cuts.
In 1975, the company closed down the fattening farm to focus fully on the processing operations.
In 1993, the eldest son and current managing director Cees van Leeuwen took over the company.
As the demand for chicken breast fillets increased, the company specialised to an even higher degree in cutting and packaging fillets. Besides supplying a number of large Dutch retail organisations, the company also developed export activities to Germany, Belgium, Denmark, the UK and Ireland.
In 2009, construction commenced on an industrial building sited on a new industrial estate in Wijk bij Duurstede, the Netherlands.